Coaches can help create a positive sporting environment and reduce poor behaviour by being good role models. To do this they can:
Encourage fair play
- Respect opponents, spectators and officials
- Thank the officials and opposition after the game – teach your players to do the same.
Uphold your club’s code of conduct
For coaches of junior sport, it’s also important to help kids enjoy sport:
- Accept decisions by officials – they are only human and can make mistakes.
- Deal with any issues in a controlled and professional manner after the game.
- Understand that yelling at officials, particularly verbal abuse, can have serious ramifications for your sport, not least on the harm it is doing to young players. Download our 7 Ways how yelling at officials is hurting children infographic and display it at your club.