Parents can help create a positive sporting environment and reduce sport rage by being good role models. To do this:
Encourage fair play
- Cheer and acknowledge good plays by both teams
- Thank the official, coach and other team after the game.
Respect officials, coaches and opponents
Keep your emotions in check
- Be enthusiastic, but don’t scream instructions from the sideline
- Don’t get into shouting matches with anyone
- Never use bad language or harass others.
Uphold your club’s code of conduct
- Understand, uphold and support your club’s code of conduct for parents.
Help kids enjoy sport
- Emphasise trying hard and having fun, not only winning
- Never ridicule or yell at a child for making a mistake.
- Use our Let Kids Be Kids resources and videos to promote positive environments in sport.