The Play by the Rules magazine is a free online magazine for people interested in safe, fair and inclusive sport issues. The magazine comes in five different formats - a Flip Book with embedded media, a PDF version with links, a plain text version and iOS and Android App versions if you prefer to access via tablet or smart phone. The Flip Book version of each magazine is only available for 12 months following publication.
In each Issue there are news updates, feature articles and Play by the Rules course and resource profiles. Take a look below for the latest Issue and all back Issues - there are some great articles and resources to access in this growing library. The best way to keep up-to-date is to subscribe to Play by the Rules and you'll be notified when new Issues are ready.
Issue 23: December 2017
- Sustainable pathway for gymnasts with disability
- Moving kids off the sidelines and into the main game
- Clubs provide a haven for kids who just want to be part of a team
- Liability in grass roots sport in Australia
Issue 22: September 2017
- Forget about the winning, just let the kids play
- 7 tips for good governance
- Creating welcoming environments
- What you need to know about performance enhancing drugs
- Sport-related concussion: Public trust in a safe sporting system
Issue 21: June 2017
- Governance is just a word for doing business better - 7 tips for good governance in sporting organisations
- The mercy rule in children's sport - help of hindrance?
- When under the microscope - how we express ourselves is important
Issue 20: March 2017
- The day a dad ruined junior football
- Kids call timeout on poor sideline behaviour
- The ride home
- Poor sideline behaviour - what steps can you take?
Issue 19: December 2016
- Breaking down the barriers to participation
- Keeping sport safe, fair and inclusive - Play by the Rules 2016 year in review
- Tips and tricks for developing and implementing a Member Protection Policy and other organisational policies
Issue 18: October 2016
- Sports safe haven for refugee's
- How parents are excluding kids form sport
- 'Losers have meetings, winners have parties'
- Responsibilities and liabilities surrounding the transmission of blood borne infectious diseases in sport
Issue 17: August 2016
- Just be there to cheer
- When size doesn’t fit the age
- Whingeing or taking a stand?
- Family law and Domestic Violence Orders – what should a sporting organisation do?
Issue 16: June 2016
- How the post-game ride home can kill your kids' love of sport
- Taking the plunge: Life after sport
- supplements - know what you are doing
- The modern day volunteer
Issue 15: May 2016
Special Issue: Supplements – know what you are doing!
In this special issue we answer 17 frequently asked questions about the use of supplements at grassroots level of sport.
To find out more and download this special issue click here
Issue 14: April 2016
- The Water Polo Pride Cup celebrates diversity, inclusion and quality in sport
- National sporting codes combine to address violence against women
- What underpins parents boorish behaviour?
- Safety for children: Working with Children Checks